Zen Luxury. Creating a Garden that is Lush. Easy. Peaceful.

Zen Luxury.  Creating a Garden that is Lush.  Easy.  Peaceful.

Friday, June 4, 2010

Bulbs (life in the slow lane)


On May 1, I planted some bulbs purchased at Home Depot. The prices were attractive and some bulbs were in better shape (health quality) than others. My list of bulbs included:

10 Oriental Lilies
3 Elephant Ears (Colocasia Esculenta)
10 Caladium Fancy Leaf Mixed


By May 20, the Oriental Lilies were growing nicely (top photo right). Math not being my strong suit, I cannot help but notice fewer than 10 bulbs are actively growing. As of June 4, I see some viable buds have formed.


The Caladium bulbs broke through the soil in the last few days of May. As of June 4, I see the actual leaves ready to unfold (see 2nd photo on right). I wonder if these will need to be transplanted? Ha, this also makes me wonder if I'll bother taking these bulbs out of the soil and store for the winter (or plant in soil).




So what is going on with those Elephant Ears? I only purchased three of these bulbs and it appears that only one is looking viable (see 3 little shoots springing up a mere five weeks after planting).

Note to Self: No bulbs next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment