Zen Luxury. Creating a Garden that is Lush. Easy. Peaceful.

Zen Luxury.  Creating a Garden that is Lush.  Easy.  Peaceful.

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Rex Begonias Progress June 3

Here's my informal study on my lovely rex begonias. I bought five (5) plants of approximately the same size. The pots were the same size though the number and size of leaves were slightly different.

I've never grown these plants before and I'm finding them to be charming here on the balcony.


How much sun is the right amount of sun for a rex begonia?


Enter ==> Left Brain Thought. I'll just wander about my Zen Luxury Garden and place my Stanley measuring tape. Might be interesting as time goes on for the season.

The top two photos are of the rex begonias that were planted on May 7. They are on my inside railing and receive Direct Sun at approximately 1pm and filtered sun by about 4pm. They appear to be thriving. Evidence of what I call "crispy leaf" was after those 40 degree evenings (brrrr).


The third photo is of a little guy that has been planted since May 7 (alongside an Elephant Ears bulb & pansy)in a glazed clay pot. Never had a moment of full sun, this little planter lives beneath the hanging planters. Looking a bit like a "non-performer". Healthy, yet limited growth. Rex is about 8" against the others' approximate 11" across the widest point.


In photo four, this lovely dark rex was just planted on May 21 into my community "shade planter". These plants get direct sun only after 5 pm. Interesting how quickly the leaves on this rex seem to just stretch out in comfort.



In the bottom photo, this rex got tucked into the planter as a safety precaution. I was leaving town for 3 days and figured the plant would die if left alone in its 3" nursery pot. Yes, I could not find a "home" for this little cutie, so I kept the poor rex in its original plastic planter. Ouch. Though still a bit smaller than the big three, this rex is looking pretty happy here and beginning to spread.

No comments:

Post a Comment