Zen Luxury. Creating a Garden that is Lush. Easy. Peaceful.

Zen Luxury.  Creating a Garden that is Lush.  Easy.  Peaceful.

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Creating Privacy on Your Balcony

Let's face it, communal living, whether it be in an apartment, condo, or townhouse, tends to leave our outdoor space rather, well, exposed.

Before

Stepping onto my balcony, this is the view of 3 neighboring balconies to my left. I am not a fan of sitting out on my balcony and facing folks sitting out on their own balcony (2nd floor) or patio (1st floor). I mean, what is the protocol here? Do ya wave? No thanks. Let's move away from this look (photo 1).

One of the things I wish to create for my balcony is a way to block the straight line of vision between my space and the patios and balconies of my neighbors. I hope to do this in a way that is effective for me while not causing any clutter to the view of my neighbors.

Or any of those pesky Letters From The Board (and no, I've never received one in the 26 years I've lived here).

After

As I sit down tonight, my line of sight is blocked (see photo 2) to the 2nd floor patios with that planter box, and blocked from the lower patio by my urn planters. Hooray for me! Note also that this 2nd tier of planting provides some privacy from people walking through the courtyard.




Ah, a life of Mystery may ensue!

5 comments:

  1. Much better! Those other balconies look sterile and uninviting. Yes, a little mystery is a very good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joan, I just found your blog through the 6x8 garden blog and I am adding it to my blogroll. I also just started blogging about my balcony in May. Good luck with your little garden and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done! I love the way you have considered how the balcony looks at night too (other post)--you've added beauty for others not just for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joan- great idea for a blog! So often people don't take advantage of their balcony space, I love the transformation. It looks fantastic and like Urban Gardens said - you've added beauty for others too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing Creativity on balcony...

    Thanks for Sharing !!

    ReplyDelete