Zen Luxury. Creating a Garden that is Lush. Easy. Peaceful.

Zen Luxury.  Creating a Garden that is Lush.  Easy.  Peaceful.

Thursday, May 27, 2010

3 Days Without Watering

Before I left town, I had some concern as to whether my plants could survive on their own for a full three (3) days. Frankly, I don't think these new plantings have sufficient root growth to support their search for moisture. Would there be any loss in plants? Would these planters be bone-dry when I returned?

Does "Moisture Control" potting soil really work?

Note that these questions are born out of my prior experience with the three white fiberglass window boxes (approximately 7" deep). In prior years, I planted with Miracle Grow standard potting soil. The resulting floral display was grand, yet the planters had to be watered EVERY day.

Set Up the Potting Soil Test

The weather over those three days was HOT and sunny. What a great test! Before leaving town, I heavily watered (till the water ran out the drainage holes)on Sunday at noon. On Wednesday night at 8pm, the containers were in good shape. I am pleased to note that every one of my containers had significant moisture.

In this quick review of Miracle Grow's product, I surveyed my:

1. large and small glazed clay pots
2. several 12" clay pots (notorious for being dry due to their porosity)
3. fiberglass window boxes
4. coco-fiber lined planters
5. faux stone resin planter box and urns

Accordingly, I am recommending this product for balcony, patio and container gardeners who may have an occasional lapse in watering. Please note that my plantings do not include any succulents. Therefore, if your plant needs to effectively "dry out" between waterings, this product may not be for you.

I will update my opinion as the season goes on. In a few days, I'm off for another 3-day holiday weekend and have no worries about this garden.

Guilt-free gardening!

No comments:

Post a Comment