Zen Luxury. Creating a Garden that is Lush. Easy. Peaceful.

Zen Luxury.  Creating a Garden that is Lush.  Easy.  Peaceful.

Sunday, May 9, 2010

How to Plant a Container Garden - 3 Methods

How to plant a Container Garden: This is just a review of the basics which may be useful for a beginner.

Note that I am experimenting herein with one new product and following one bit of advice on recycled plastic 1-gal bottles. By May 1, I am ready to plant my three window boxes. Although much is published on How to Plant a Container Garden, here’s a short video explanation and a new product, “Better Than Rocks”. This product is nearly 1” thick, feels a bit like a scrubby pad, and is marketed to hold the potting soil above the drainage holes. Although I find this product to be pricey, it does offer a few good features. First, it is made out of recycled plastic (so I give myself a little checkmark in my “green” department for today). Next, no odor and no rotting. This puts coco fiber to shame. By the way, a nurseryperson just informed me that squirrels just love coco fiber for lining their nests. Nah, I do not care to go that green! Fiberglass window box with stones over drainage and Better Than Rocks product:



I also selected a new planter for my first experiment with coco fiber. The metal planter ($39.99 from Home Goods) was sprayed lightly with Rust-oleum "Crystal Clear Enamel" to prevent rusting:



Inserting coco fiber into a metal planter:



The following video was inspired by the suggestion to use 1-gallon plastic jugs to lighten the weight of these large planters as well as to help with the drainage:

No comments:

Post a Comment